Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Nobody Gets it Right the First Time

Winston Churchill once said "Americans will always do the right thing, but only after exhausting every other option first". The Atlantis resort is the latest gleaming example of bringing that Western culture to the Middle East.
Case in point: I'm on this water slide, 50 meters up, in my comfy plastic inner tube (you see where I'm going with this?). Then the water pressure stops JUST as I'm about to go over a hill on the slide. First I stop in mid-air, then fall and start sliding backwards. NOT GOOD. My first thought is "I hope Katie doesn't kick me in the back of the head as she comes flying around the corner". Then it's "Um, how am I going to get down from here?"

Part 1: http://picasaweb.google.com/matthew.mueller/AquaventureAtTheAtlantis0908#5251191654454166434

Part 2 (the good one):
http://picasaweb.google.com/matthew.mueller/AquaventureAtTheAtlantis0908#5251193736442663858

After I hopped crab-style on my rear end (in the inner tube) to the closest ladder, climbed down, and spoke to the nearest "employee", I felt a little better. Apparently it was just minor opening-day park jitters. I should've been there a few months ago, she said - she couldn't even count how many bones were broken in the initial testing!

Oh boy.

Next time: My thoughts on the 30-meter Leap of Faith slide ("No accidents since 2pm!").
Update - apparently everybody wants to hop on the Atlantis bandwagon, including Terrorists and reporters from Atlanta:

CNN Video Report: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/09/25/atlantis.hotel/index.html

Al Qaeda's brilliant scheme of mis-designing the slides for broken bones wasn't enough. The plan to continue their personal vendatta with Atlantis and Kylie Minogue. Honestly? A water park in Dubai. This is a bit much...

1 comment:

udjim said...

These people must have learned about beta testing from Microsoft.

It figures that after surviving your adventures with firefighting in Croatia and the detour into Bosnia, you wind up risking your life at the waterpark in Dubai.