Saturday, November 15, 2008

Be Vewy Vewy Quiet, I'm Hunting Wrabbits.



In keeping with the the boy activities, Matt and Carlton decided that it was high time us girls felt the butt of a shotgun in our shoulders. I wasn't too keen on the idea, but we went along anyway and got the requisite vest, shells, earplugs and of course, 28 gauge shot gun. The boys started with some fancy skeet shooting, targeting a variety of flying orange objects flying across the sky at all angles. Carlton, whose father is an all-time Virginia skeet shooting champion (no joke), showed us some impressive skill!



When it came time for the girls to step up to the plate, we decided to do a little something on the beginner-level. We stood on a platform in the center of the range and blasted some incredibily slow moving targets about 5 feet in front of us. On a side note, shooting a shotgun hurts! It was bad enough that I had to nestle in my shoulder, but when I went to take aim the instructor said, "you have to put your face on the stock of the gun". What?! Nobody ever told me that I had to put my face on the gun. Sure enough, when the shot was fired, both my shoulder and cheekbone were left reverberating. That was all the shotgun shooting I needed to do. Lisa was a bit more brave and did a few more rounds, but her shoulder and face were none too happy about it.
We ended the day with a little gun-fun, we each staged our best 'Sarah Palin'. Yeehaw!

No comments: